Notice to the Members of CWA Local 1182
On Wednesday, May 29, 2019, the CWA National Union Executive Board placed CWA Local 1182 in temporary administration.
Officers of Local 1182 submitted a request for Temporary Administration due to allegations that were made which include sexual harassment, hostile work environment and financial irregularities. These were serious allegations which are being investigated by the National Union.
On Wednesday, May 29th, Local 1182 was placed under the Supervision of a “Temporary Administrator” – Ricky Morrison – who is employed directly by the National Union.
When a Local is under a Temporary Administrator (a TA), the Local is not governed by the Local’s Executive Board. Instead, the TA directly governs the Local. All staff report to the TA. The TA must approve all expenditures. Some people call this a “Trusteeship,” however, in the CWA Constitution it is a “Temporary Administrator.”
We are sure that this is very upsetting news for you. Please know that CWA is acting responsibly in order to protect the members and our union. We will continue to provide representation and members rights –which are our top priorities.
In the immediate, we want to assure you of a few things:
- The TA has secured Local 1182’s office, books, records and assets;
- Our first concern, commitment and priority will be to the workers we represent;
- The TA will follow, to the letter of the law, the CWA Constitution and federal law with regard to this Temporary Administration;
- The National Union will supervise all representation of workers while the Local is under the Temporary Administration. There will be no lapse in representation. In addition, there will be no impact on negotiations.
- An audit of the financial records will be conducted.
- The National Union will continue to investigation allegations of sexual harassment and hostile work environment.
In the coming months, the TA will be working to reinforce CWA’s policy on mutual respect. Freedom from discrimination within our Union is a right and privilege of all CWA members.
We will keep you up-to-date regarding the status of the Local and the TA.
If you have any representation issues that you need help with, please do not hesitate to call your delegate or the Local’s office at 718-268-6353.
Thank you for your anticipated cooperation throughout this process.